There are several different matrimonial regimes. Whether you are married under the regime of partnership of acquests, separation of property or community of property, it is entirely possible to change your matrimonial regime at any time, provided that both spouses agree.

How to change your matrimonial regime

You can change your matrimonial regime by making a notarized marriage contract. To do this, nothing could be simpler. Make an appointment with your notary for a consultation. Are you looking for a notary in Montreal to change your matrimonial regime? Contact Mtre Mona Salehi at 514-903-8560.

When will the new matrimonial regime take effect?

The new matrimonial regime takes effect at the time of signing the notarized marriage contract. The new matrimonial regime is not retroactive. It therefore enters into force when the notarized marriage contract indicating the new matrimonial regime is signed.

Do you have questions about marriage contracts, matrimonial regimes, civil marriage or are you planning to get married civilly soon? Contact me at 514-903-8560! 


Mtre Mona Salehi is a member of the Chambre de notaires du Québec, the Association professionnelle des notaires du Québec and the International Union of Notaries.

Please note that this article is not legal advice or an opinion. For advice appropriate to your situation and before making a decision or taking any action, you are advised to consult a notary.

Related Posts
Filter by
Post Page
Civil marriage Divorce Succession Droit familial Mariage civil
Sort by

Copyright © 2022 Mona Salehi Notaire Inc. - All Rights Reserved -
The present content does not constitute a legal opinion. Please consult a notary or a lawyer for any particular situation. This web site and its content is protected by the intellectual property legislation, particularly the Copyright Act of Canada. All and any partial or total usage, modification, reproduction, distribution, citing or copy without authorization is strictly prohibited and punishable by law.
Web Design & SEO Services by GroupFractal Inc.