Before making a will, it is important to ask yourself some questions to be sure that the will really reflects the wishes of the testator. Making a will requires preparation. The will is an important document that will serve as a guide to achieve your last wishes.
At each stage of your reflection, it is advisable to talk with your loved ones who may have a role to play as liquidator or guardian.
Questions to ask yourself before having a notary draw up your will
Here is a list of questions to help you be prepared for writing your will.
- Who do you wish to name as heir(s)?
- What share(s) of the inheritance do you want to leave to him/her/them?
- How should your inheritance be shared if one of your heirs dies or is unable to collect their share?
- Who will be named as liquidator of your estate?
- Do you want the liquidator to be paid? If so, how much?
- Who will replace the liquidator if he/she dies or abandons the office?
- Who will be the guardian of your minor children?
- Do you want the guardian to be paid? If so, how much?
- Who will replace him or her if necessary?
- What are your instructions for your funeral?
- Would you consent to donate your organs?
- How do you transfer and manage your business?
- How do you transfer and manage your digital assets?
- Are there any charities close to your heart that you want to show your support for after your death?
- Who will take care of your pet?
This list of questions is not exhaustive, and your notary may ask others in order to draw up your will.
Do you want a notary to draw up your will? Contact us at 514-903-8560 to make an appointment today. And remember that making your will doesn’t mean you die!
Monasalehinotaire.com – Notary and Marriage Celebrant