Government processing fees for a sponsorship application
Processing fees vary depending on whether they are destined to Canada or the Province of Quebec.
In the fall of 2020, for the Canadian government, the fees are $1,050, breaking down as follows:
- $75 sponsorship fee;
- $475 processing fee for principal applicant;
- $500 fee for the right of permanent residence.
For the Government of Quebec, MIFI has fees of:
- $289 for the sponsored person;
- $116 per child.
Note that the processing fee does not include the fees of the notary or other professional who will prepare your sponsorship application.
Be represented to sponsor a spouse or common-law partner
Being represented to apply for sponsorship is an excellent idea. This avoids:
- incorrectly completed or unsigned forms;
- presenting an incomplete application or invalid documents;
- making a non-compliant payment;
- losing the application, since authorized representatives can use an application portal with the Federal Government;
- documents or information requested by the agents not being returned in the required time frame;
For an immigration application, the persons authorized to represent a client for compensation are notaries who are members of the Chambre des notaires du Québec, lawyers and accredited immigration consultants. The federal government allows these authorized representatives to present applications and payment via an online portal.