It is possible to unite with someone who is in Canada to marry him or her. To do this, you must enter Canada using one of Canada’s immigration programs.
You will need to make a specific request depending on the purpose of your visit to Canada (visit, work, study, settle there permanently).

Uniting with a spouse while Canada’s borders are closed due to Coronavirus disease (COVID-19)

Since March 21, 2020, the government has prohibited entry into Canada by persons who are not permanent residents or Canadian citizens. This is to contain the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

The Government of Canada has been aware of the impact of its travel prohibitions on people with spouses outside the country.

It has therefore put measures in place that allow:

  • uniting with members of immediate family who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents,
  • uniting with members of extended family who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents,
  • uniting with a member of immediate family who is temporarily in Canada.

The procedure to follow and the documents to be provided are available at the following link:

You will be required to apply for an authorization and provide a solemn declaration of the purpose of entering Canada. Our staff is available to receive your solemn declarations and signatures.

Uniting with a spouse outside the period of the decree closing the Canadian border

To unite with your spouse, you must apply through an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) program.

You can determine your eligibility using the online tool that will guide you to the appropriate program:

Have a civil marriage and sponsor your spouse

Once your spouse is in Canada, it is entirely possible to get married civilly. Certain conditions, documents and time delays are required. Our staff will be pleased to advise you on these various points.

We can then support you through your sponsorship application.


Mona Salehi Notaire Inc. – Notary and civil marriage celebrant in Montreal

Share This Post, Choose Your Platform!

Single Post Content


Civil marriage celebrant
Phone: 514 903 – 8560
Address: 1602A Avenue Selkirk, Montréal, QC H3H 1C6

Contact Us